Friday 11 July 2014

Full Steam Ahead for CalMac Trainee


Chris Burton joined CalMac in 2013 as an apprentice engine room rating.  He was recruited by CalMac in a joint initiative with the RMT Learning Project.  Chris said: “When I went to the interview I thought it had gone well. I was told shortly afterwards that I had been chosen as one of the ten from over 1,200 people who had applied!  When I complete my training my job will involve keeping watch in the engine room, general cleaning and maintenance of the ship and assisting the engineers. I will also achieve the Engine Watch Rating and Able Seafarer (Engine) SCTW Certificate.”
Chris during his training at South Tyneside College.

“At present I’m on-board MV Lord of the Isles, which operates out of Oban to the Western Isles. I get loads of support from all my colleagues in my training, they help me with my Task Record Book, teach me new skills, give me projects and steer me in the right direction if I need help.”
“Working at sea was and is a dream job for me, I guess what appealed to me most about a maritime apprenticeship was the job based training and good conditions in CalMac.  My family are proud of me, happy and amazed at the opportunity I have.”
Chris has just finished his second spell at South Tyneside College and now has to complete six months sea time and onboard training to complete his course.
CalMac are currently recruiting for the next intake of trainees and you can apply by following the link below.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment